Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bingo , a little dog

with a big heart passed away suddenly on Sunday morning . He was my buddy and constant companion . He suffered a series of  seizures and was in terrible pain . I called the emergency number at our vets office and was directed to an animal hospital that was open 24 /7 .  He was so very weak and didn't seem to know us and what was going on . The preliminary diagnosis was some kind of neurological problem , most likely a tumour . It would require a whole battery of tests , and likely with not a very good outcome when all was said and done . After a lot of tears I made the decision that the kindest thing would be to let him go . I think that given his age and how badly he was suffering, it was the right thing , but I 'm still having a difficult time dealing with it .

He was truly a great little guy. He was my one and only dog . He came to us fourteen years ago , quite by accident . He was originally supposed to be Mike's moms dog , but she physically wasn't able to take care of him . He ended up with us , the best decision I ever made ! He was  just a tiny little puppy when he came to us in November of 1997 . He quickly made friends with our cat and wound his way into our hearts with his good nature and spunky attitude . He loved his walks , but especially when it snowed . He always walked with his tail up like a flag . He was always with me , followed me everywhere  .I'm lucky to have had him for so many years but I'm heartbroken and miss him so very much....

9 comments:

Monika said...

Oh, Elfi! I'm so sorry! Reading something like that always brings tears into my eyes, and I know just how you feel! I'll still miss my Sam and Biko very much, even with the lively gang we have now.

lexa said...

So sorry for your loss. I think you did the right thing. I know what it's like, I had to do that with my Simba in 2009. And there are still two more cats and two dogs to go through it all over again!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That's a very hard decisions to make; and made with much love I'm sure. (Hugs)

Donna M said...

Every pet owner knows what you are going thru! But you made the best decision for your lovely little guy and let him go. That is real love!

Cin said...

The most important and the best gift we can give to our pets is to keep them from suffering. It is a honorable thing to say good bye and help your little friends rest peacefully without pain any longer. I still miss my Jake whom we had to put down almost two years ago. I do think he was thanking us in his vacant eyes as we drove him to our wonderful vet's office for the last time. I will be thinking of you and your family. It's a very very hard but a very commendable thing that you did for your little one! God Bless.

Jean said...

We have lost two wonderful dogs/friends and understand completely your pain. What a lucky dog to have lived with you and received your love!

CelticCastOn said...

So sorry you lost your buddy! Its never easy but he's not in pain anymore!
He may not be with you now but he'll be in your heart forever!
*hugs*

Chrisknits said...

So sorry for your loss. I know it will be painful to not have him around. May you find peace in his memory.

Dee said...

I'm so sorry. Bingo looked like an adorable little guy.