Friday, May 16, 2008

Relay for life








Two wonderful women in our family have battled with and lost their lives to cancer.My mother, who would have been 75 yesterday , succumbed in 1996 . Mike's mom , Laurette, died 2 years later. Needless to say how much we miss them and what a big gap they've left in our families.They were both strong , generous , lovely and loving women who left us way too early. This year I've decided to honour their memories by walking in our local "Relay for Life " which is taking place on June 6th, 2008 . I'm participating as part of the team that is comprised of Chantal's family and friends, all of whom have been touched by this disease in one way or another .






I'm hoping to use this blog as away to fund raise a little extra money for the Canadian Cancer Society . I know that cancer has touched so many lives and thought that possibly some visitors to this blog might like to join me and our family in this effort. I'm usually a quiet , behind the scenes kind of person and find it difficult to ask for help , however this is a very good cause . I'm hoping to enlist some support from the online knitting community. My goal is to personally raise $500 for this event.






Did I mention that there's a draw for prizes as a thank you for your donation . Here's some pics of what I have to give away . For starters , a skein of Fleece Artist merino sock yarn (colour Renaissance ) . Then there's Knit One , Crochet Two Douceur Swirls , a gorgeous baby mohair, silk blend ( 3 skeins and one ball = 900 yds of luscious lace knitting ). Lastly and still on the needles , will be a finished Forest Canopy Shawl . I'll be finished knitting it this week-end and will take photos and post them once it's blocked . I'm sure my soon to be DIL (yay) Stefanie will model it for me .


If you'd like to donate just slick on the Canadian Cancer Society logo at the top right hand side of this blog. It should bring you to my personal page on their website. Then just follow the directions to make a donation.I'll be drawing the prizes on the week-end of the walk. We'll put all the names in a hat and pick the winners. Thank you a million times over for taking the time to read this and for donating .


p.s. in case you were wondering this is not ground hog day . I did post this yesterday but was having trouble getting the links to my personal page on the Cancer Society to work, so I deleted it and re-posted today. My computer guru (Casey) is supposed to come and fix it today . Fingers crossed ;-)) . Please let me know if it's still not working and you'd like to donate . Thanks !

2 comments:

lexa said...

Good luck! I will link to this post on my next blog post and hopefully get you some more donations. :)

sherriknits said...

I hope you are successful in your venture. It's a good cause. I lost my Grandmother and one of my best friends to cancer.