Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We had a bit of a scare

yesterday afternoon . I got a frantic call from Max telling me that he cut his hand rather badly with a Skil saw . You can imagine the thoughts that were running through my head till I got to the house which is a 5 minute drive away. I don't think an ambulance could have got there any quicker . I bundled him into the car and drove him to the hospital . He'd started an EMT training course when he was out in Alberta , so he knew what to do to stem the bleeding . He was fairly calm but in a lot of pain , so that ride to the hospital (less than 10 minutes ) seemed an eternity . The triage nurse took him right way and he was seen by the doctor not too long after . He was extremely lucky that the cut was on the palm side of his hand, otherwise he probably would have lost a couple of fingers . Bad enough , but could have been so much worse . We're counting our blessings today.

Casey and Mike are over at his house today doing whatever needs to be done there . He's been renovating the bathroom , so they're without the main toilet and sink . They'll finish up for him . Needless to say he's beyond upset with himself . He keeps saying he should have known better , but a moments inattention is all it takes . I'm just so thankful that it wasn't worse .

3 comments:

Donna M said...

Glad to hear that he's ok! I worked in our local ER for years and you can get some pretty ghastly injuries from saws!

lexa said...

Glad it wasn't worse! My dad had one of those kick back into his forearm. Very badly cut, almost an hour from a hospital... He's got a pretty bad scar and only partial use of his hand now. I would have passed out, I couldn't stand to look at it when it was all stapled up after the plastic surgery!

Monika said...

How is Max doing now? I hope he's healing well!