Monday, July 23, 2007

What I did on my summer mini-vacation








It's been quite awhile since I posted . I've been back from Quebec City for a few days and am having some trouble settling back into the routine . I really enjoyed our visit to Quebec , despite the terrible weather . Brenda and Sydney were wonderful hosts who made me feel very welcome, even though I'm not related . They live just a little north of Quebec City proper , but it's just a short 30 minute drive to get into the city . Their house is situated on a hillside and they have a beautiful view if the valleys and mountains across from them . Their heritage is Irish and Scottish and both of their families settled in the region after the Irish famine , so there's a long history there. It was great fun to hear their family stories and meet some of their friends as well .








We had one nice day which we spent exploring the city . The annual summer festival was on so there were loads of tourists in the streets of the old town and parliament hill . Earlier in the day we visited two of Brenda's neighbours . The " girls " as Brenda calls them , never married and loved the area so much they decided to buy some land from Sydney's family . There 's an beautiful old farmhouse ,a barn and the most amazing vegetable and flower gardens. One of the sisters is the animal lover and keeps a horse ,a donkey as well as some hens in the summer . The other sister is the gardener . I enjoyed their hospitality very much and look forward to meeting them again .

No comments: