Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New socks and a resolution (maybe )


After battling a nasty bug last week , I finished the second of the Christmas knits this week . I was really down for the count , no energy and coughing so much my sides hurt, all attributed to a sinus and, can you believe it , an ear infection . My GP who was on duty at the clinic had a quiet chuckle , saying the insides of my ear resembled that of a child . Apparently it's rare for someone my age to get this, go figure . A round of antibiotics took care of the infection , but the cough still lingers . I can't figure out how I came to get this , but am extremely happy to be feeling much better . I have to be in shape for our trip on the 28 th . I was able to get the flu shot , so that's another good thing .





Back to the socks , these are for Dana , Emma's mom . I seem to have started a tradition of knitting Christmas socks for them . Dana loved last year's funky coloured socks , so I decided that this year I would mix it up and go more conservative . After some stash diving I discovered this yarn which was gifted to me by my father on one of his recent visits here from Austria . Perfect ! As usual the pattern (Waffle Rib ) comes from Sensational Knitted Socks . That pattern is a good match for self-striping sock yarn . I seem to have a lot of that kind yarn in my stash . It would appear that I went on a buying binge in my early my sock knitting days . The Internet has enabled me to expand my horizons and my stash with a greater variety of yarns .


As 2009 draws to a close I've made a resolution to knit up more of the stash before buying more yarn . Just because its been marinating in the closet for awhile and the temptations for newer , fresher yarns being ever present , doesn't make it less deserving of my attention . That being said and after looking on my ravelry projects page , I 'm finding that I have knitted mostly self-striping socks despite having so many other beautiful yarns of the non-striping variety . What gives ? Could it be that I'm in a rut ? Nah, not me ....

2 comments:

Donna M said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I have been bug free so far this fall ( knock on wood!) but can imagine what you have gone through.

Nice job on the socks.

I always plan to use stash yarn, but, the best laid plans........

lexa said...

Glad you are feeling better. I've got a cold right now, not fun. There is a lot of H1N1 around here right now, half the school kids are out. Nasty stuff.

I've got one scarf and one pair of socks knit for Christmas gifts so far. One more pair is half done. I am actually using two of my stash yarns for Christmas gifts. That doesn't happen very often as I buy stuff that I like, then I don't want to part with it. I'll have no choice but to buy yarn for any mens socks. The stash is definitely lacking manly yarn!