Friday, January 8, 2010

Closing out 2009...



...with two finished knits . I'd blogged about these shortly before Christmas but never posted any photos . The first FO were a pair of socks knitted for Shirley's DIL Robin . She's joined the family and is now on the list for hand knit socks . I knit a tiny pair for Sidney , but didn't alas no photos of his . The yarn used for these came from stash and is the Elann Sock it to Me 4 ply . I knit up a simple garter rib pattern which seems to be the best use for this yarn . More intricate or lacy patterns get lost in the striping . I have a few more balls of this in the stash and let me tell you I'll be glad when they're gone . I'm so over stripes !


Next up in the FO is another stash buster . A one row scarf a la Yarn Harlot . I love this pattern because it's reversible and suitable for just about anyone , man , woman or child . This yarn was Berroco's Ultra Alpaca in a gorgeous dark blue with hints of pink and purple highlights called blueberry mix . This is simply a fantastic yarn to work with ; I'm sure more will find its way to me in the future . Ruby (my neighbour Cory's mom ) was so happy to receive this . She's also an avid reader and has passed on some of her books to me , this scarf was by way of a thank you . She 's in her eighties and a hoot to be around . She's got more stories to tell and an opinion about everything , but in a good way .
It's been a good start to the new year , busy with the family as usual . I'm over the cold thankfully , but now Mike's having his turn with it . He's wishing that I'd kept it to myself . I've been knitting quite a lot this week , when I'm not reading that is . The Kindle has not lost it's attraction yet . I should have something to show on the next post .
Have a good weekend , stay warm , hoping it's not too wintery where you are !

4 comments:

Donna M said...

The socks and scarf look great! So nice to have FOs and bust stash as well! More room for new yarn?!

lexa said...

Great knits! I love that scarf! Love the model, too. :)

Monika said...

I liked knitting with Ultra Alpaca as well, even the DK weight one, very nice. I've done this scarf too, but I really got bored with it fast. It looks nice in this yarn.
How much are the costs for using the Kindle? Do you pay monthly?

Minding My Own Stitches said...

The socks are very cute, and I agree, a complicated pattern is completely lost in the striping. The simpler the better!