Friday, February 5, 2010

The week that was

Gosh almighty , but time flies ! I didn't see much of this week , there was so much going on . DH Mike celebrated his 60th birthday on Monday . We had a special birthday dinner with the family on the weekend , this weekend we're supposed to have a get together with friends . I say supposed to because the birthday boy has succumbed to a yucky stomach bug and is decidedly not in any shape to party. So we've postponed that . I have to laugh because Mike was definitely having trouble accepting this birthday . He's never complained or moaned about his age , but for some reason this birthday has got him cranky . He didn't want any fuss or bother , no party , no gifts , just get it over and we'll move on . I'm thinking he's really gone to extreme lengths to avoid a celebration . We'll get him yet ...


This bug has gone through the family both literally and figuratively . I baby sat Jessey because , guess what , he was sick again . Yep same bug. Dad Casey was next on the hit list and then yours truly , Omi . This gastro thing is a rare experience for me and not one I want to repeat any time soon .


Anyway on the good side I started another pair of socks . I have a few "special " yarns in the stash , one of them being a really pretty hand dyed deep pink one called Royal Flush by Tanis Fiber Arts . On Tuesday evening when I was still feeling relatively okay I started this pattern . Lovely pattern , beautiful yarn , just not a good match . The socks were not going to fit even though I was using 2,00 mm dpns . I'd knit all the way to the heel and despite my optimism , finally faced the fact that they WERE not going to fit . Yesterday afternoon I ripped and found another pattern (Wakefield Socks ) . This one is perfect , not too big , not too small , or as Goldilocks would say "just right " ....

5 comments:

Strickmuse said...

Frieda, thank you for your kind comment on my post.
I love both sock patterns and I have added them to my favorites. The yarn looks wonderful, great color.

Donna M said...

Sorry to hear about your flu bug. My family in Saint John has the same thing. Let it stay out of NS please.

Don't you love the Tanis yarn. Her colours are amazing. I use 2.5 or 2.75 mm dpns with that yarn and it works fine. But I am a tight knitter!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Both pattern look lovely - I've added one to my queue and one to my favourites. Maybe I'll have to start them after Ravelympics!

Monika said...

Happy Birthday to you DH anyway! :o)
Lovely sock yarn, and pattern too.

lexa said...

Hope the flu bugs pass soon! Love the color of the new socks. Very pretty. :)